Monday, August 24, 2009

Breakfast For A Cause!

As most of you know, I have lost 2 of my children. They were stillborn from different causes and while I was in the hospital, thankfully there was a great bereavement program set up to help Bill and I get through our most trying moments. From great nurses and staff trained for just such an outcome, to a wonderful gift I received in the form of a box, these meant a lot. It is for this box that I write to you now.

This box, and many many more, are made and donated to the Banner Desert Hospital for parents who have lost their child or children before of after birth. It contains items that are helpful to parents in making and retaining memories of their little one such as a disposable camera, a journal with pen, Kleenex and CD full of meaningful songs. These boxes also serve as a place to keep their baby's belongings, such as an outfit,blanket or cap that they may have held their baby in, or I.D. bracelets that both mom and baby wore. I received one of these boxes and I keep items from both of my girls in it and I keep it in my hope chest.

Through a friend I happened to meet a person that knew about the organization that makes these boxes, and found out that I can help them continue to meet the need of these boxes. And so can you! It's called Lanee's Legacy http://www.laneeslegacy.blogspot.com/ and they are having a breakfast to raise money in the hopes of meeting the financial need of making all the boxes needed as they strive to become a non-profit organization. Please check out the link and read the blog. I know it will touch your heart. The breakfast will be held on Sat., Oct. 10th @ 8 - 10 am. Tickets are very affordable at $5 each or 6 for $25.
This a way that we can offer support to those that are grieving. I remember when friends would tell me that they wanted to do something for me, to help me with the grief I was experiencing, but besides the usuall "I sorry for your loss" and "I'll pray for you", I used to think that there really wasn't much that could be done. I now realize that this is an enormouse support that can be givin, and by anyone. It really does mean a lot. So for anyone interested in attending, I'd love to carpool and share a wondferfull experence and breakfast together.

4 comments:

Chelsey Howard said...

I would love to go, and I'm sure my sister in law would too. The same thing happend to her less than a yr. ago:( I'll look up where the event is at and get together with you.

DeAnna said...

I would love to go with you as well. My mom will be here so she may come too. I love that people are so willing to help others in need like this! There is hope left in the world.

Lee Family said...

Yay girls, I'm so glad to of your interest. Thank you for your support and spread the word!

BeckyinQC said...

Gwen and Bill,

Tonight I logged on to my Lanee's Legacy account and found that some of your friends (Jacob and Kristen Schlink) bought tickets to our upcoming breakfast. They mentioned that the way they heard of our breakfast was from your blog, so I wanted to come and read your story.

I first want to tell you how sorry I am for BOTH of your losses! I can't imagine having to endure this pain twice! I am so glad that the boxes were able to help you in some small way. I know they can never take away your pain all together, but I hope you felt as if you were not alone in this journey.

I wanted to thank you for posting about our breakfast and for the referrals we are receiving from it. When I read your post tonight about Lanee's Legacy, I cried. The things you said were so touching and heartfelt. I was wondering if you could give us permission to post some or all of what you said on our Lanee's Legacy blog? Just let me know at laneeslegacy@hotmail.com.